InnovateHER – Youth Innovation Competition
Are you a female under the age of 25 looking at problems facing the world around you and eager to be part of the solution? Would you like to develop the skills needed to not only solve those problems but also turn your solution into a business? Do you want to make a difference and contribute to achieving the United Nations' 17 Sustainable Development Goals (SDGs)? Then, the InnovateHER Youth Innovation Competition is made for you.
The participant can enter the competition by identifying a problem that they believe can be addressed with a digital solution (mobile phone app).InnovateHER is looking for creative and innovative ideas that address one or more of the SDGs, ranging from poverty reduction and climate action to gender equality and quality education.
All participants will receive access to the online training platform, peer support group and interactive sessions for a period of 12 weeks to develop their idea.
Training topics will include:
- Design Thinking for Product Development
- Project Management
- Conceptualising your Business with the Business Model Canvas
- Mobile Application Development
- Financial Fundamentals
- Mental Health & Wellness Support on relevant topics
All participants who complete the programme will be invited to a hackathon event to implement the Mobile App Development content & a graduation function where the finalists will compete live to determine the ultimate winners. If your idea is viable, feasible, unique & catches the eye of one of our industry judges, you can potentially secure funding to bring your idea to life. The overall winners will win a once-in-a-lifetime technology tour abroad, with Prof Leenta as your guide.
Click here to apply.
- You may enter as an individual or as a team of up to 3.
- At least 1 of the team members should identify as female.
- Individuals/Teams may enter only one idea into the competition.
- A teacher may enter with more than one team from the same school
- Consent should be given from the parents/legal guardians to participate in the competition and all the related activities.
- The winners should be in possession of a valid passport by 1 September 2023 in order to travel, or the prize will be forfeited.
How to apply
1. Individuals or teams of up to three participants may enter with a teacher from their school.
2. Start by identifying a problem related to the 17 SDGs that you have personal experience with, within your community, and that you think can be solved by means of a mobile phone app.
3. Create a short (3-minute) TikTok-style video to convince us what the problem you identified is and why the problem should be addressed.
4. Write a summary paragraph explaining each of the following: the problem, why it should be solved and what your concept idea is.