Biovac makes locally manufactured vaccines available to South Africans and across Africa. Our purpose is to protect life through the development, manufacture, and supply of much-needed vaccines and other biologicals. Being a bio-pharmaceutical company, we use biological ingredients and processes.
Develop and manufacture vaccines locally.
Biovac was formed in 2003 through a partnership formed with the Department of Science and Innovation (DSI) to establish local vaccine manufacturing and services.
These services include:
- Partnering with international pharmaceutical companies to manufacture vaccines for tuberculosis (TB), Pneumonia, Hepatitis B, Diphtheria, Tetanus, Pertussis, Poliomyelitis and Haemophilus influenzae
- Developing vaccines through local research and development
- Importing vaccines through partnerships and supply on their behalf
South Africa has a well-developed pharmaceutical industry, but there is still a dependency on imports. This leaves the country vulnerable when the demand for certain vaccines and products is high.
Locally made vaccines ensure that the country has the capacity to supply vaccines domestically, reducing dependence on imports. This strengthens the national healthcare infrastructure and enhances self-sufficiency in managing public health emergencies. It also helps in upskilling talent in the field of biotechnology.
Biovac welcomes pharmaceutical partners nationally and internationally to grow local vaccine manufacturing capabilities.
- Commercial and product development partnership in the local and international pharmaceutical manufacturing sector.
- Biovac and Pfizer celebrate their strategic partnership at the unveiling of the Biovac Freezer Farm today, showcasing the realisation of investment commitments in SA for the continent.
- Biovac signs deal to develop and manufacture oral Cholera Vaccine for Africa and global markets.
- Enabling local innovation to grow the health sector.
- BIO Africa convention seeks to advance Africa's bioeconomy.
- Celebrating Women's Month 2023 under the theme "Accelerating socio-economic opportunities for women's empowerment."
- The future of science, technology and innovation among BRICS countries is bright.