Innovation Fund: Design Innovation Seed Fund (DISF)
Applications are open for the Design Innovation Seed Fund (DISF). The fund is open to;
- Early-stage small and medium enterprises/entrepreneurs/researchers
- Students at tertiary institutions as long as the institution does not already have an Intellectual Property claim to the product/service. Please consult institution’s Intellectual Property policy
- Pre-revenue businesses in incubation or entering incubation or
- Existing SMEs with new products/innovation that is still pre-revenue.
- SMMEs must have a valid Tax Clearance Certificate for the company or individual applying in their own capacity
- South African citizens with valid South African Identity Documents or legal entities controlled by South African citizens with valid South African Identity Documents or permanent residents who hold a valid RSA ID document.
- Water Conservation
- Alternative Building Materials
- Low-carbon technology and renewable energy
- Information and Communications Technology
- Wild Card* (*projects outside these sectors can be considered)
Click here to apply.
- Only fully completed applications will be considered
- No company or individual can access more than R800 000 of the fund
- Fund allocations will be made on an activity/intervention basis linked to co-developed delivery milestones
- Applicants must be familiar with the Intellectual Property Rights from Publicly Financed Research and Development Act, 2008 (Act 51 of 2008) and understand the implications of this Act on intellectual property derived from projects funded by TIA; primarily the Institutions’ Rights in terms of the Act. Please see the IPR Act 2008 Act 51 of 2008
- Potential to create competitive, new protected or protectable intellectual property, no basic research, must be between TRL 3 to 7
- TIA retains the right of first refusal to support further technological development, as informed by the outcomes of the DISF seed funding, and TIA’s own criteria.
- The DISF Seed Fund Beneficiary acknowledges that should the project technology be commercialized, TIA will have the right, but not the obligation to claim royalties which shall be subject to negotiation with the individual project / Seed Fund Beneficiary (however, exceptions will be motivated per project commercial merit and socio-economic impact).
- No staff member or associate of the CDI or TIA may apply
- CDI funding decision is final and no correspondence will be entered into
Agriculture, forestry and fishing
Agribusiness and Agbio
Electricity, gas, steam and air conditioning supply
Information and communication