Global Innovation Exchange challenge: Solidification of Leachate Concentration
Dolphin Coast Landfill Management (DCLM) (operated by Veolia) would like to find more environmentally friendly and economically viable ways to solidify the concentrate of their effluent treatment plant. They are seeking solutions utilising innovative solidification agents that can deal with large and increasing volumes of concentrate. Solutions are invited from, but not limited to, the following sectors:
- Waste management
- Environmental services
- Industrial biology
Rewards & Benefits
- UP to GBP 25,000 seed funding (Subject to T&C)
- Opportunity to pitch your solution to DCLM/Veolia
- Collaboration/partnership with DCLM/Veolia
- Technical support and Mentorship from DCLM/Veolia team
- Mentorship programme facilitated by KTN
Sector expertise from KTN
- Support in the development of a prototype or pilot
- Invitation to attend or present at KTN events
- Investor introductions (if investment is required)
- Application support for any Innovate UK or similar competitions that are relevant
- Established businesses, start-ups, SMEs or individual entrepreneurs
- Africa-based entrants, UK-based entrants and those from RoW are invited to apply
Closing date for applications: 14 July 2023
Click here for more information and how to apply.
DCLM are seeking practical, feasible, and economically viable ways to solidify the concentrated leachate from the effluent treatment plant, comprising approx. 8750m3 per annum. These solutions should aim to solidify the concentrate utilising innovative solidification agents (alternatives to the current agents: ash and lime) in an environmentally friendly way. The goal is to effectively block any toxins from causing ground contamination.
- Deal with 40m3 of concentrate per working day.
- Be applicable on DCLM landfill site
- Be able to be integrated with DCLM’s current effluent treatment plant
- Be practical for the South African environment
- Solution must be applicable in modular format, so it may be scaled progressively
- Please detail any new infrastructure requirements for this solution
- Solutions must be able to solidify the concentrate in 1 to 2 days (high priority)
- Solution must be able to deal with hazardous materials
- Solution must be sustainable with the intent to reduce carbon emissions.
- Solution to be non exothermic.
- Byproducts from alternative industries are desirable
- Solutions involving valorisation for industrial use are desirable